Belfast's Titanic Shipyard
– Belfast's Harland & Wolff Shipyard where Titanic was built.
Belfast’s shipbuilding industry expanded rapidly in the late 19th century. As the size and numbers of new ships increased, Harland & Wolff continuously expanded and improved their Queen’s Island yard.
In 1854, the Harland & Wollff shipyard covered an area of only 1.5 acres and employed 100 men. By 1897, the growth of the company meant that its yards occupied 80 acres and employed 10,000 men.
This drawing illustrates the scale of the shipyard prior to its reorganisation in 1907/08 for the construction of Olympic & Titanic. The commercial docks in the foreground clearly show how trade dominated the western side of the River Lagan, while shipbuilding was the major activity to the east.