Location: Ulster Transport Museum / Rail & Road Galleries / Car Gallery
This bicycle was used by the German army during WWI (1914-18). Unusually springs were used for its tyres as there was a shortage of rubber at the time. Bicycles were a very important means of transport during the war, enabling large numbers of troops to cover longer distances than would have been possible on foot. Eight Radfahr-Bataillonen (bicycle battalions) were active within the German army during the war.It was donated to the Belfast Museum and Art Gallery by the British War Office in 1920 which suggests that it had been seized from the defeated German forces.