Edward Delaney was a sculptor working in metal. Born in Claremorris, Co. Mayo, in 1930, he studied art at the National College of Art, Dublin, from 1951-54; Akademie der Bildenden Kunst in Munich, from 1954-59 and the Accademia Belle Arti in Rome, from 1959-61. He has received several awards including a West German Fellowship for sculpture, Bonn, 1956-57; a Bavarian State Students' Sculpture Prize, 1958; an Italian Government Scholarship for Sculpture, Rome, 1950-60; and Arts Council of Ireland prizes for sculpture in 1962 and 1977. He has represented Ireland in numerous exhibitions including the New York World's Fair, 1964-65; biennalies in Paris, Tokyo and Buenos Airies; and at the fourth International Exhibition of Sculpture, Budapest, 1978. In 1966 he was commissioned by the Irish Government to design a memorial statue and fountain to Thomas Davies (1814-45) for College Green, Dublin; and that year also won first prize for his memorial to Wolfe Tone (1763-98) which was erected at St.Stephen's Green, Dublin. he was awarded the Douglas Hyde Gold Medal in 1972 and the following year won first prize in the Art in Context scheme organized by the Arts Council of Northern Ireland. In 1980 he was elected a member of the Aosdana; he is also a member of the International Sculptors Centre, Washington, D.C. His work is represented in public and private collections in Ireland and the U.S.A.
This piece is one of a series of sixteen sculptures which he made in 1965 on the Cathedral theme. Each work was modelled directly in wax and cast by the lost wax process. Two of the series are in the U.S.A. and six are in private collections in Ireland. The whereabouts of the others is unknown.