Browser does not support script.
Due to the latest guidance from the NI Executive, our museums will remain closed until further notice. We look forward to welcoming visitors back to our museums when it is safe to do so and we would like to thank the public for their continued support and patience.
Henri Gaudier came to London in 1911 with Sophie Brzeska, whose name he added to his own. The original plaster for this work was commissioned in 1912 by the theatre designer Claude Lovat Frazer (1890-1921). It was painted in bright colours, partly gilded, and hung in Frazer's studio until his death. Few casts of Gaudier's work were made in his lifetime, due to his extreme poverty. The mask was not cast until 1969, when six casts were made, of which this is number four.