Understanding visitors, their experiences, motivations and expectations is a crucial part of National Museums NI’s activities, It contributes to a process of continual improvement ensuring we remain relevant to our visitors and do our best to help them explore, engage and enjoy their heritage.
We are looking for volunteers to help us reach more of our visitors to increase the sample size of our survey and make our results more robust.
We have opportunities across all of our museum sites:
Ulster Museum, Belfast. BT9, 5AB
Ulster Folk Museum/Ulster Transport Museum, Cultra, BT18 0EU
Ulster American Folk Park, Omagh, BT78, 5QU
Number of volunteers required:
Approx. 1-2 per museum
Main Purpose and Role:
Main activities will be:
- Approach incoming visitors to the Museum and ask them if they would be prepared to participate in an online survey after their visit and be entered into a draw to win a complimentary family ticket to the Museum.
- Ask the visitor to complete and submit their information on an iPad
- If a visitor does not wish to take part, the volunteer will wish them an enjoyable visit.
Your skills and experience:
- Good soft-skills/ approachable manner required to speak to visitors and put them at ease.
- Good IT skills to resolve any minor issues with the iPad.
- Experience in dealing with the public
- Customer services or visitor research experience would be an advantage but not essential for this role
4.5 hours per week - 9.30am to 2pm
Event days coming up include:
- Easter ( Ulster Folk Museum, Ulster Transport Museum, and the Ulster American Folk Park)
- Bluegrass (Ulster American Folk Park)
- Various events in the Ulster Museum.
- Develop soft skills and learn how to approach visitors within the museum environment.
- Become familiar with visitor’s motivations and needs within museums.
- Gain experience of working in a visitor facing and admin role in the museum sector.
Volunteers must be over 16 years old.
When conducting surveys the volunteer will be working alone but will be close to the visitor services desk, and may ask for help if any issue arises. The Duty Manager will be the point of contact on event days.
Complete the form below and one of the team will get back to you.
Please put the title of the role you are interested in the “Additional Information” section.